DR. JEFFREY B. KLEIN
Dr. Jeffrey B. Klein was born and raised in the Detroit area. He is married and has three children.
While in his post graduate training, Dr. Klein specialized in foot and ankle surgery and in 1990 became Board Certified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery in both foot and ankle surgery. He, at the time, was the youngest person Board Certified in both foot and ankle surgery By the certifying board (ABPS).
Since the entry into private practice (1987), Dr. Klein has used every opportunity and avenue to stay abreast of the rapidly developing field of medical technology. He was trained in cutaneous laser surgery at Harvard University School of Medicine and then later attended a course in arthroscopic techniques of the foot and ankle taught by the pioneer of arthroscopy, James Gould, M.D. Dr. Klein was among the first group of physicians certified in extracoporeal shockwave therapy for treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis and heel spur syndrome. Since then, he has certified hundreds of podiatric and orthopedic surgeons in use of this technology. Dr. Klein was the first physician in Michigan to perform extracoporeal shockwave therapy utilizing the Ossatron shockwave generator. For many years Dr. Klein has been lecturing to medical residents of various specialities such as family practice, podiatric surgery and general surgery. In addition, allopathic family practice residents rotate through his office in order to gain knowledge in triaging lower extremity trauma and pathologies.
Dr. Klein is a member of the medical staff of a number of hospitals in Southeastern Michigan including St. Joseph Mercy-Oakland Hospital, St. John’s Providence Hospital and Medical Centers - both Southfield and Novi locations, Detroit Medical Centers, Henry Ford Hospital West Bloomfield and Doctor’s Hospital of Michigan in Pontiac. Additionally, he lists memberships in numerous professional organizations such as the American Podiatric Medical Association, the Michigan Podiatric Medical Association and the American Board of Podiatric Surgery. During his 25 years of practice, Dr. Klein has stressed the Doctor-Patient relationship. His basic and essential philosophy is “the informed patient is the healthiest and happiest.” Many physicians and their families avail themself to Dr. Klein’s professional services.
Dr. Klein has specialist interests in several areas, mainly medical education, diabetic and geriatric foot care and limb salvage, reconstruction surgery of the foot and ankle as well as sports medicine. He has delivered numerous lectures on these subjects during his career to various lay and professional groups.
His Board Certifications include:
1. Diplomate American Board of Podiatric Surgery, Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery, awarded in 1990.
2. Diplomate National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners, awarded in 1986.
His special training and externships include:
1. Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy certification.
2. Ankle Arthroscopy with use of the Holmium Yag laser under the direction of Dr. James Gould, a noted author and researcher.
3. Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy at the Hershey School of Medicine in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
4. The use of Cutaneous Laser Surgery at Harvard School of Medicine in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
5. Diabetic Foot Care at the Veteran’s Administration Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois under the direction of Dr. Victor Conway.
6. Trauma and Podiatric Surgery at Doctor’s Hospital in Tucker, Georgia under the direction of noted author, researcher and pioneer, Dr. John Ruch.
7. Podiatric Diabetic Surgery under the direction of Robert Freiburg, a noted author and researcher.
8. Non-invasive Peripheral Vascular Testing under the direction of Leonard Hallen at Sinai Hospital in Detroit, Michigan.
After over 25 years of dealing with lower extremity wounds and limb salvage techniques and procedures, Dr Klein was asked to start lending his expertise; he started seeing patients in the Hospitals’ Hyperbaric and Woundcare Center. He is also a member of the Association for the Advancement of Wound Care (AAWC) which exists to be the leader in interdisciplinary wound healing and tissue preservation.
Dr. Klein attended Wayne State University and majored in Psychology and Pre-medical studies and did receive his Doctorate from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine. He trained at North Detroit General Hospital in Podiatric Surgery and Trauma and he is licensed to practice Podiatric Medicine and Surgery in Michigan, Ohio and New York.
While Dr. Klein is qualified to perform a wide variety of procedures, he has special interest in diabetic and ulcer care with limb salvage, endoscopic plantar fasciotomy and ankle arthroscopy as well as advanced bunion surgery and forefoot reconstruction.
“Be Klein to your feet”